I had a pretty sad looking pantry at the end of December.
Since I knew I was going strict Paleo and doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox, I stocked my pantry, only about $120 dollars (Between Costco and Whole Foods), but now I’m set with staples for about a month or two and feel much better that I can only make good decisions and don’t have junk sitting around. Plus when I’m craving something, I will probably have most of it on hand. I ended buying at least two of most items . Another good place to go is the bulk section at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I use the plastic containers to fill versus the plastic bags as they store better and I can see specifically what I have. I use canisters to store larger amounts of nuts and almond flour. Each person will have some different preferences as to what they want in their pantry, so here’s just a place to start.
As you begin building your Paleo lifestyle, you will find out what you like and don’t like. I will not have curry sauce sitting around because I don’t like curry, but many others have this as a staple. Here’s some ideas for stocking a Paleo pantry:
- Oils: coconut, olive, and sesame oil
- Baking stuff: baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, flax meal, dark chocolate chips, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, almond flour, coconut flour (I keep the opened flours in the freezer to prevent spoiling)
- Nuts: Pecans, walnuts, almonds, slivered almonds
- Canned coconut milk (ingredients should only be coconut and guar gum)
- Shredded coconut
- Almond butter (almonds should be the only ingredient!)
- Coconut aminos (Paleo substitute for soy sauce)
- Chicken stock (organic/free range)
- Mustards: spicy brown and Dijon
- Peppers: chipotle peppers and diced green chilies
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Canned olives (I LOVE olives)
- Tomato paste and tomato sauce
- Canned vegetables: artichokes, hearts of palm, french style green beans, diced tomatoes (make sure there’s no additives)
- Natural, unsweetened applesauce
- LOTS of spices: chili powder, cumin, cilantro, basil, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper, garlic and onion powder, dill weed, cinnamon, and lots more!
So there’s my paleo pantry staples. Hope this helps!